Practical Legal Training
Curtin Law School offers a Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice, the first and only practical legal training (PLT) course to be delivered by a Western Australian university. This graduate diploma is a specialised PLT course aimed at law graduates, specifically those who wish to practise in Western Australia.
Intakes and study-mode
This course is has two intakes per year, in January and August, and you will have the option of completing your seven coursework units either full-time or part-time.
The coursework component of this course runs for 20 consecutive weeks (full-time) or 33 consecutive weeks (part-time).
Gain practical skills
Whilst studying, you will be supported through weekly face-to-face seminars and workshops with experienced members of the legal profession. You will also have the opportunity to develop your advocacy skills through intensive advocacy training and practice opportunities with an experienced barrister, as well as use real-world practice management software.
Frequently Asked Questions
You may commence your PLT prior to completing your law degree provided you have no more than two electives of your law degree to complete and have obtained prior approval from the Legal Practice Board of Western Australia.
Contact us to find out more about how to commence the Curtin PLT prior to completing your law degree.
Seven coursework units:
- LAWS5008 Lawyers’ Skills
- LAWS5011 Work Management and Business Skills
- LAWS5005 Property Law Practice
- LAWS5012 Civil Litigation Practice
- LAWS5012 Legal Practice Capstone
- LAWS5009 Commercial and Corporate Practice
- LAWS5006 Practice Area Specialisations (complete two electives through this unit)
And one legal workplace experience unit with a choice of two options:
- LAWS5007 Legal Workplace Experience – 75 days work experience with up to 60 days prior legal workplace experience able to be recognised (subject to our workplace experience rules) OR
- LAWS5014 Clinical Legal Work Experience – guarantee your work experience through a placement in the John Curtin Law Clinic. Complete ten weeks under the supervision of experienced legal practitioners. The John Curtin Law Clinic is a pro bono legal advice clinic established by Curtin University. You can gain a variety of experience including advising small businesses, individuals, start-ups and not-for-profits, in areas as diverse as dispute resolution, discrimination and commercial law.
You can read more about the course structure on the courses handbook.
- One day Orientation
- Five day attendance school (includes intensive advocacy training)
- Weekly face-to-face evening seminars with experienced barristers and legal practitioners at our Curtin 137 St Georges Terrace campus
- Part-time: one night per week
- Full-time: two nights per week