Legal Internship Program
The Curtin Law School offers a Legal Internship Program, a professional skills unit within the Bachelor of Laws curriculum. This unit complements the Law School’s focus on practical learning and readiness for legal practice.
This is an optional unit for students who are studying a single or double degree in Law. The unit gives students the opportunity to gain experience in a legal environment for academic credit, during a minimum of 10 and a maximum of 20 days, either one day a week over the trimester, or an equivalent amount undertaken intensively. The workplace experience is supplemented by an assessment program designed to build oral and written communication skills and to encourage reflective practice.
Students should, in first instance, find their own placement. If this is not possible, we may be able to find a suitable position for you. If you are already working in a legal environment, you may be able to utilise your existing placement for your internship. However, you cannot be paid during the internship period. This can be discussed with the legal internships co-ordinator, Elana Christou, or the unit-coordinator, Dr Hugh Finn.
Enrolment in the unit is subject to the approval of the Curtin Law School. You cannot enrol into the unit without an approved internship. We do not guarantee all students who want an internship will get one.
Each application is individually screened and assessed for suitability based on the EOI and CV. A short interview may also be required.
Typically to be eligible for the unit, students will need to:
- Have completed 200 credits or more (however, students with less than 200 credits will be considered)
- Be enrolled as a Curtin LLB student (including Double Degree LLB students)
- Be on Good Academic Standing
- Submit ‘Expression of Interest’ and CV by 5pm Friday 12 April
- Attend Induction day on Friday 26 April (8.30am to 4pm)
- Submit ‘Expression of Interest’ and CV by 5pm Friday 2 August
- Attend Induction day on Friday 16 August (8.30am to 4pm)
How to apply
If you already have an Internship secured, please apply via the Bring Your Own (BYO) Internship portal