What we do
The John Curtin Law Clinic is part of the Curtin University Law School. We provide legal advice and assistance to eligible clients who cannot afford to obtain paid legal assistance and are ineligible to receive other pro bono legal services in the following areas:
- Small business disputes advice service – for small businesses which need advice or assistance with a dispute
- Discrimination law advice service – for people who have been the subject of unlawful discrimination*
Advice and assistance is provided by final-year law students who are supervised by qualified and experienced legal practitioners
*Please note that we do not usually assist with disability discrimination matters because Sussex Street Community Law Services Inc has expertise and funding to assist clients who have experienced disability discrimination. For more information, please visit their website.
Some of the things we can help with are:
- Identifying your legal options
- Filling out court forms
- Drafting basic agreements
- Legal research about your matter
- The law clinic is located in the Perth CBD, at the Curtin Law School city campus.
- We have limited resources and we will not be able to assist with all requests for legal advice. If we cannot help you, we may be able to refer you to another organisation that can.
- Interviews are by appointment only.
- We are open during University teaching periods. Outside of teaching periods, existing clients will continue to receive assistance however we will not be able to take on new clients.
- To make an appointment, please submit one of our application forms.
What we don’t do
We DO NOT assist in the following areas of law:
- Personal injury
- Wills and estates
- Medical negligence
For assistance regarding taxation matters, you may wish to contact the Curtin Tax Clinic.
We are at full capacity at the moment, applications for assistance will reopen on Tuesday 29 September 2020.
Thank you for your patience.
John Curtin Law Clinic