“The importance of sponsorship in the project ecosystem continues to be a key factor in project success”
(KPMG, AIPM IPMA report: The Future of Project Management Global Outlook 2019)
Project sponsorship can be a challenge; not all project sponsors have extensive project management experience and are trained in project sponsorship competences, typically they have an extensive number of responsibilities and the sometimes very public pressure to keep costs low can complicate decision making. Furthermore, the demarcation between sponsorship and project management can also give rise to difficulties.
This masterclass will explore a number of issues facing project sponsorship, define the role of the project sponsor and provide you with an understanding of the dynamic nature of projects assisting in sponsoring projects throughout their lifecycle. In this program, leading experts Professor Fran Ackermann and Dr Francis Norman will show you how effective project sponsorship can result in a strategic and sustainable approach to projects and effectively manage project operational issues.
Date: 5 November 2020
Location: Curtin 137 St Georges Terrace, Perth (map)
Unbundled (per class):
- General: $590
- Alumni, students and staff: $540
Bundled (entire series):
- General: $2,600
- Alumni, students and staff: $2,350
- Purchase as a group of five or more (general rate with discount): $2,450 per person
Includes a delicious morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea.
- Understand the role of project sponsor and how it differs from the role of project manager
- Gain awareness of the triggers that can tip a project from on time and on budget to over time and over budget
- Understand the dynamic nature of projects, such as how seemingly sensible decisions made early on in the project can have detrimental effects later down the track.
- Public sector and senior managers responsible for commissioning and managing large public projects
- Private sector managers responsible for overseeing portfolios and programs of projects.
|9:00am – 10:30am||Overview of project sponsorship – what is it, why have it?||Fran Ackermann and Francis Norman|
|10:30am – 11:00am||Morning tea|
|11:00am – 12:30pm||Implications of sponsorship||Francis Norman|
|12:30pm – 1:15pm||Lunch|
|1:15pm – 2:30pm||Understanding the dynamics of projects – exploring the triggers, actions and counter-intuitive results||Fran Ackermann|
|2:30pm – 3:00pm||Afternoon tea|
|3:00pm – 4:30pm||Understanding and navigating the tensions between project sponsors and project management||Francis Norman|
|Wrap up||Fran Ackermann and Francis Norman|
Registrations are now open
This Masterclass is part of our project management masterclass series
The project management masterclass series comprises five one-day masterclasses into one program. It will expand your knowledge and skills in project management, so you can take the next step in your career.
Delivered in October and November, the series includes:
- Being a better client
- Strategic and systemic project management
- Managing stakeholders
- Delivering strategy with Agile