Taking Data Analytics for a Test Drive
Part of the CBS Executive Education Masterclass Series
Discover how Data Analytics can help solve your business problems, and meet and brief a Data Scientist.
The key to effective use of data analytics in a business is by developing and asking meaningful questions about the business and it’s operations. Yet, the process of developing these questions remains an elusive challenge for managers.
By going through a set of simulated exercises, this masterclass will demonstrate the process of designing relevant business questions and show you how data analytics can potentially help to answer these questions. Participants will also have the opportunity to work with a data scientist through these exercises and gain insight on the benefits and challenges of business data analytics.
Date: Tuesday, 25 June 2019 (This program has now concluded. If you are interested in attending future sessions, please submit an expression of interest to our team.)
Time: 9am – 4:30pm
Where: Curtin Graduate School of Business, 78 Murray Street, Perth (map)
Curtin Alumni / Current students: $479
Inclusive of a delicious morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea.
This program is highly interactive and will require participants to bring their own laptop/iPad.
By attending this program, you will:
- Learn that developing business problems that are data analytics solvable is an iterative process.
- Understand that efficient communication between team members is the key to the success in business problem development, especially from the viewpoint of data analytics solutions.
- Get the opportunity to talk to aspiring data scientists and gain further insight of their capabilities.
The program is designed for managers or small business owners who do not have any data analytic background but are curious on how data analytics may contribute to solve their specific business problems. The program also provides an opportunity to work with aspiring data scientists and gain insight into what data science and data analytics can potentially benefit your business decision making.
|9:00am – 10:30am||Introduction to Data Analytics – An Overview||Felix Chan|
|10:30am – 11:00am||Morning tea|
|11:00am – 12:30pm||Asking the right questions||Felix Chan|
|12:30pm – 1:15pm||Lunch|
|1:15pm – 2:30pm||Looking for answers in data||Felix Chan / Ranjodh Singh|
|2:30pm – 3:00pm||Afternoon tea|
|3:00pm – 4:30pm||Presenting the results||Felix Chan / Ranjodh Singh|
While not strictly necessary, participants can maximise their learning experiences by getting their hands dirty with data.
The following materials on the basic of Python will be useful:
- Python can be installed through Anaconda
- Watch the following videos on Python and Anaconda:
- Python Tutorial: Anaconda – Installation and Using Conda
- For more Window focus discussion: Install Anaconda Python, Jupyter Notebook And Spyder on Windows 10
- We will be using Jupyter notebook – please watch this video for a brief introduction: Jupyter Notebook Tutorial: Introduction, Setup, and Walkthrough